Just got this from Holly W. about Ward 3 Happenings! – Thanks Holly! Cheers and Happy New Year Everyone! – Matthew
Happy New Year. I hope you had a great holiday season and are eager to start 2007, as I am. This year rather than hold regular office hours on Tuesday from 2-7pm, I will just plan on scheduling to meet with you as you contact me, if you would like to discuss items. I look forward to another successful year as your councilwoman and am open to discuss any issues that are important to you. Please don’t hesitate to contact me.
1. As many of you have noticed, the old Johnny Walker Homes site is moving dirt. I will keep you posted on this development as I am kept aware of its progress.
2. The property across the street from me was purchased and they will be building a new homesite on the corner. I have just seen the construction plans and it looks like we will have 1 new family in a 2 story house plan. I will definitely miss the trees and I am sure I will see more wildlife in my yard (then we already see) but I will look forward to new neighbors in our area.
3. In December the council began to address the following in committees:
a. Parade Permit Fees – which will affect events that utilize the Square for runs, walks, etc.
b. Art In My Park future projects: local neighborhood fundraising for art in our neighborhood parks
c. Hunting in the City Limits
d. Alcohol sales on Sunday’s
4. The City of Marietta is happy to welcome a new Chief of Police, as many of you know Chief Bobby Moody retired last year. Our new Chief of Police is Daniel Flynn who comes with much experience from Savannah and Miami.
5. I will be having a Town Hall Meeting along with Councilman Grif Chalfant on Tuesday, January 16th at 7pm in the City Hall Council Chambers for Ward 3 and Ward 2. The major topic will be on sidewalks in the neighborhood. This has been a highly talked about issue since I put the S. Woodland SPLOST sidewalks on hold. I will welcome your opinions and we will have an in-depth discussion. Some sidewalk projects in Ward 3 & 2 that we are currently moving forward with are: 1.Whitlock Ave. sidewalks from Kirkpatrick to Manning Rd. (at Eckerd’s) on the south side of the street(Nick’s-Goodyear-Eckerd) ; 2. Polk St. Ext. from Westborough Rd. to Whitlock on the west side of the street; 3. Whitlock Ave. from Dallas Circle to Windsor Dr. on the south side of the street (MHS side). And we also have the street planting medians and sidewalks to look forward to down Powder Springs St. as we move into the future.
6. I would like to also get your input on traffic calming devices in the neighborhood, for or against.
That is about it for now. Please see the upcoming events below and the City E-NEWS.